Employee training is seen as a vehicle for building competitive advantage by most companies. Apart from developing internal capabilities, which can be a factor of differentiation among companies, training has traditionally proved to strengthen the corporate culture and to increase motivation, job satisfaction and commitment.
Check out LBTC’s portfolio of 500 open courses.
When is it preferable to provide training internally and to develop internal training infrastructure and expertise?
- If your company has very specific and idiosyncratic needs, know how, structures, systems, culture, objectives and strategies that need to be supported through company-specific training;
- If the internal expertise in providing training is adequately developed and your company has put much effort and resources in order to develop this function in-house;
- If your company seeks to facilitate corporate action learning through training;
- When internal teachers act as role models who lead by example and enforce the corporate culture and develop the future leaders;
- When training is seen as a way to develop the managers. The practice of having internal managers to provide training to subordinates or colleagues can prove an effective way for executive self-development of the trainer him/herself; and
- When training is used as a tool of the overall change management effort. Change management champions and change agents may find more control and more success over internal change efforts as a result of developing and leading change in the form of training and development.
When is it then advisable to outsource training?
- When your company seeks to buy in new ideas, scarce expertise, and achieve pluralism and an ‘out of the box’ thinking through outsourcing; and
- If cost and flexibility considerations determine to a large extent the training process.
LBTC is the UK’s premier training provider for business courses in London. Our training is delivered by professional consultants who possess global and multi-sector knowledge and experience.