By attending this course, you will be able to successfully lead public services to achieve service excellence and community objectives. You will:
- Consider the approach to the medium/long term funding of the authority to ensure financial resilience year-on-year.
- Consider the approach to the medium/long term planning to ensure the authority meets all of the expectations of its stakeholders.
- Gain an overview of programme and change management for those senior officers who will be looking to employ and manage specific skilled staff and/or consultants to help achieve their organizational change objectives.
This course embarks into the essential fundamental aspects of leadership on your career pathway. Set over the course using a combination of discussion debates, case studies, research and immersion sessions, you will explore experientially how to emerge more fully as a leader and to harness the workforce to transform.
The course will wrap with a summary of the key learning points, followed by an action planning exercise with a view to apply the acquired knowledge and skills immediately upon your return to work. Post-course support is also available in relation to the implementation of your action plan, up to six (6) months following course completion.
Public Sector Finance Strategy
- Funding Strategic Priorities
- Revenue Resilience
- Managing Reserves
- Crises and Contingency Planning
Public Sector Strategic Planning
- The Strategic Planning Cycle
- The Political Cycle and its Impact on Strategy
- Review and Refresh
- Incremental adjustments vs major restructure
Public Sector – Leading Strategic Change
- The Drivers of Change
- Building and Gaining Support
- Project Management
- Change Management
- The emergency response
- Taking control
- Working in partnership
- Restoring normality
Leadership – The Pursuit of Excellence
- Excellence in Leadership
- Mission to Be the Best
- Managing Change by Raising Standards
- Leader board Comparative Analysis
Key Leadership Qualities
- Leadership Characteristics and Traits
- What Makes Great Leaders
- Psychological Mindset of Leaders
- Leading with Ration, Logic and Emotions
- The Decision-Making Process
- How to Skilfully Persuade
- Team-led Approaches to Decision-Making
- Structured Critical Thinking
Managing Stakeholder Expectations
- Principles in Engaging Stakeholders
- Aligning from Grassroots to Boardroom
- Mobilizing Stakeholder Support
- Managing Expectations
- Summary and recap of key learning objectives
- Action Planning
This course is suitable for:
- Directors and Deputy Directors, and all other public sector senior officers who are responsible for achieving the authority’s strategic objectives and can commit the resources to achieve them.
- Directors and Heads of Departments.
- Senior Managers and High Performance Executives.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- ‘Step-up’ to lead the whole service.
- Define service outcomes.
- Understand the responsibilities of the service ‘end-to-end’ manager.
- Comprehensively understand leadership principles and apply them.
- Explore the leadership styles and the psychological basis that underpins great leadership.
- Apply high level decision-making approaches to deliver robust leadership strategies.
- Implement an Action Plan at your workplace using the knowledge and skills acquired through the course.