Cost and Break-even Analysis
- Fixed and variable costs
- Break-even analysis
- The margin of safety
- Interpreting break-even analysis
- Assumptions underlying break-even analysis
Absorption and Activity-based Costing
- Direct and indirect costs
- Absorption costing
- Calculating a blanket rate
- Over and under recovery
- Calculating a department rate to fully cost the product
- Activity-based costing
- The advantages of budgets
- The process of budgeting
- Preparation of a budget
- Problems of budgeting
- Budgets to monitor performance and flexible budgeting
- Variance analysis
Pricing and Costs
- Using cost information to price your product
- Discounts and distribution margins
- Choosing the appropriate costing method
- Pricing and product strategy
- Optimum pricing
- Target costing
- Life-cycle costing
- Transfer pricing
Short-term Decision Making
- What are relevant revenues and costs?
- Make or buy decisions
- Limiting factors
- Upgrading equipment
- Closure of sites or discontinuing products
Investment Appraisal Techniques
- Accounting rate of return
- Payback period
- Net present value
- Discounting to present value
- Internal rate of return
Measuring and Reporting Performance
- Performance measurement: strategy and objectives
- Financial and non-financial performance measurement
- Key performance measures
- The balanced scorecard
- Customer profitability analysis
- Integrated reporting
- Environment accounting and carbon reporting
- Corporate governance
- Those who wish to understand the implications of decisions made across a range of management accounting issues.
- Those who wish to develop the ability to analyse, interpret, and question the accounting information they may encounter in a business context.
- Those who wish to acquire a sound appreciation of accounting and finance in order to communicate and succeed in the business world.
- Non-accounting staff who desire a practical introduction to the fundamentals of management accounting.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to understand:
- The difference between management accounting and financial accounting.
- The difference between fixed and variable costs.
- How to calculate variable and fixed costs using the high-low method.
- How to use break-even analysis as a decision-making tool.
- How to calculate and understand contribution, the break-even point, and margin of safety.
- The limitations of break-even analysis.
- Why overheads need to be included when costing products.
- How to calculate a simple ‘blanket’ overhead rate.
- How to apply absorption costing methods to fully cost out a range of products.
- The limitations of traditional costing methods.
- How to calculate a simply activity-based cost.
- Why a business needs to prepare a budget.
- The process of preparing a budget.
- How to prepare a simple budget.
- The problems of budgeting.
- The purpose of simple variance analysis.
- How various methods of costing can impact on pricing.
- How to calculate prices using cost-plus, sales-margin, and discount methods.
- How various pricing strategies can be used, including how target and life-cycle costing can affect product pricing.
- How to calculate internal transfer prices in a variety of ways.
- Which costs are relevant in short-term decision making.
- Whether an organisation should make or buy products.
- Which products should be prioritised if there are limited resources.
- If a product should be discontinued or a location closed.
- The nature and significance of appraising long-term investments.
- How to use a range of investment appraisal techniques to assess and compare projects.
- The advantages and limitations of each method.
- How a business might set its long-term strategy.
- The performance of a business using non-financial as well as financial measures.
- The use of benchmarking to improve performance.
- How to construct a balanced scorecard.
- How to calculate customer profitability.
- The role of integrated reporting.
- The role of environmental accounting and carbon reporting.
- The need for corporate governance and how ethical and environmental issues should be taken into account.
£3745 + VAT