This training workshop will provide insight and understanding to create and plan the delivery of hugely challenging Public Sector policies successfully. It analyses the many, and often conflicting strategic priorities within the public sector, and how to reach a compromise, so that a cohesive and coherent policy can be created and implemented. We discuss the fundamental requirements of a structured, strategic planning process. However, it is essential to remember that strategic planning takes places in a wider political context, which is often in a constant state of flux, and subject to a plethora of interests and influences, so such strategy creation cannot be carried out in isolation. Understanding, appreciation and consultation of stakeholders is essential to the successful outcome of a policy, so that we consider in depth how to achieve this. However, a policy cannot be implemented without resources which need to be assessed, evaluated and matched to requirements to achieve the outcomes required, which we study in this training workshop.
Strategic Vision and Planning
- Strategic priorities: setting meaningful objectives
- The strategic planning process
- Incorporating the complex influences and interests in creating strategy
- Internal analysis
Politics and the Public Sector
- Anticipating and responding to changing governments and politicians
- Civil servants working directly with elected representatives
- Aligning and resolving conflict between political objectives, conflicting demands and incompatible priorities.
- Maintaining continuity of service standards
Stakeholder Identification, Analysis, Alignment and Engagement
- Identify all stakeholders and monitor changes within and between them
- Building relationships with stakeholders appropriately
- How to manage competing and conflicting interests and objectives
- Formulate a comprehensive plan to involve, motivate, engage and monitor all stakeholders, particularly as they change.
This online course is suitable for a wide range of professionals but will be of real value to experienced or new or aspiring:
- Permanent Secretaries, Cabinet Secretaries and all Civil Servants.
- C-Suite Officers and Chairpersons of Non-profit organizations and Charities.
- Senior Public Sector Officers who work directly to lead Politicians.
- Elected and appointed Policymakers, Managers, and Planners in Governments, Public Agencies, and Non-profit organizations.
- City Council Members, Mayors, City Managers, Administrators, and Planners.
- Senior officers who work with Public Services to achieve broader community outcomes, e.g., Public
- Health and Well-being, Economic Development, and Community Relations.
- Police Chiefs, Fire Chiefs, and their staff.
- School Board Members, Administrators, and staff.
- Board Members and Company Secretaries.
- Non-executive Directors
- Directors, Deputy Directors, and Senior Managers.
- Heads of Departments
- Transformation Leaders
- Change Managers
- CSR and Sustainability Managers and staff.
- Risk Managers and professionals.
- Community Relations Managers and Executives.
- Health, Safety and Environmental Managers and officers.
- Legal and Compliance Managers and professionals.
- Managers and staff who wish to develop responsible strategic practices.
- Managers and staff concerned with influencing or implementing organizational strategies.
- Those who wish to capitalise on and grasp all strategic opportunities for their organizations.
- Those who wish to promote the strategic success of their organization.
Upon completion of this training workshop, you will have:
- Analysed the key factors which lead to the success of public sector and not for-profit planning and know how to apply them.
- A comprehensive understanding of the role and influence of politics in the planning and adjustment of strategic policy.
- Identified all the stakeholders and appreciate the importance of a systematic approach to consultation, engagement and communication.
Duration: 1 week
Duration: 1 day
Duration: 1 day
Duration: 2 weeks
Duration: 3 days