This course provides an understanding of the concepts and strategy relating to the effective management of public sector finances.
The course also includes a site visit to an organization relevant to the course so delegates can develop an understanding of how their contemporaries function in the real-world.
The course will wrap with a summary of the key learning points, followed by an action planning exercise with a view to apply the acquired knowledge and skills immediately upon your return to work. Post-course support is also available in relation to the implementation of your action plan, up to six (6) months following course completion.
Public Sector Finance Strategy
- Linking organizational strategy to financial strategy
- Interaction between short-term and long-term strategy
- Stakeholder analysis
- Corporate governance
Public Sector Financial Management
- Effective financial management
- Regulatory framework for financial accounting
- Assessing financial performance
- The role of treasury management
Challenges in Public Sector Financial Management
- Improving financial management
- Pressures on public finances
- Cost reduction
- Allocating resources
- Industrial visit to a relevant organization.
- An insight into the internal working of companies.
- An opportunity to learn through interaction with practising professionals.
- Summary and recap of key learning objectives
- Action Planning
This course is suitable for:
- New entrants to the public sector.
- Staff with some practical experience but with no financial qualifications.
- Non-financial staff in the public sector who need to understand the basics of financial management.
Upon completion of this course, you will understand:
- How public sector organizations are accountable to their stakeholders.
- Why it is more important to show how well public money has been spent rather than just how it is spent.
- Develop a practical perspective into contemporary work practices in your field.
- Implement an Action Plan at your workplace using the knowledge and skills acquired through the course.
£3435 + VAT